The mission of the Charter Program is to establish a clear path to boat ownership for MYC members, while increasing the racing membership of the club.
Over the last few years the MYC BOD has successfully implemented a charter boat program for X boats and E scows. In addition, last year an MC scow was acquired for similar use. 2018 brings an additional X boat and E scow to the fleet. The MYC charter fleet is now six boats strong: 2 X Boats, 2 E-Scows and 2 MC Scows.
This Charter Program is a step towards boat ownership. Those awarded a charter package will be supported by the yacht club as they learn the requirements of boat ownership. Upon completion of this program the MYC will assist the sailor in ways to find a boat to purchase.
Those awarded a charter will receive a package that includes a boat, sails, lift, and place to store the boat. All fleet registration fees will be covered by the program. Charter recipients are required to be members of MYC.
The sailor receiving this awarded package will be fully responsible for the following:
- Return the boat, sails and lift in better condition than it was received
- Sail in Minnetonka Yacht Club races on a regular schedule
- Enter into local regattas
- Engage with a mentor to improve the sailing skill of the skipper and crew
- Establish crew and provide them with exposure to the program and yacht club
Many members of MYC have volunteered to act as a mentor to Charter recipients. These mentors have committed to work with the applicant to improve their racing skills and strategies, learn about rigging and equipment specific to each boat, assist with boat maintenance skills, and provide a social connection to the MYC community. Each applicant will be assigned one to two mentors for the season. Each charter skipper must reach out to a mentor and set up a schedule to meet with each other. It is advisable that this schedule is included with the application. Mentors have the following responsibilities:
- Initiate contact with Charter recipient when Charters are awarded in April
- Remind Charter teams of Bug Lift in and answer and questions they may have
- Check in with Skipper and Crew prior to Memorial Day weekend; discuss the racing and social schedule for MYC and your specific fleet
- Over the course of the summer asset in making arrangements for the Charter boat to have “guest” skipper and/or crew from the fleet to race with charter team
- Help to introduce and integrate the skipper and crew into the social network of MYC
- Be available to answer and questions the boat may have